Team Member Definition
Team members have been accepted to an IMR team and paid a minimum of 50% of the required donation for that team.
- Specific flight information, departure information, and hotel information will only be provided to IMR team members.
- Team members on IMR missions may choose to fly on an IMR group flight from a single point of departure in the United States or to fly “independently.”
You will receive an itinerary and a departure packet with emergency phone numbers and customs documents approximately 10 days prior to departure.
Your Responsibility in Transit
- IMR reserves the right to schedule travel 24 hours prior to or after the published mission dates.
- IMR will begin hosting you all-inclusively once you are in country and have met up with the team at the designated location.
- IMR is not responsible for any costs incurred in transit or costs incurred due to flight delays or cancelations for any reason. We recommend you purchase travel insurance.
- You may want to have new United States currency and a credit card that you don’t typically use (in case of loss) available for common or unanticipated expenses.
- If you fail to meet the team at the designated location, any additional costs needed to join the team are at your expense. IMR will make every effort to help you join the team, but this may not be possible on every mission.
- Our missions frequently include additional transportation between the main arrival airport in-country and the starting point of the mission. If you are traveling independently, you are responsible to meet the team at the designated meeting place at your expense. You may also contact the IMR office to join the group ground transportation for an additional fee.
- Travel Insurance is highly recommended for all of our volunteers.
- It is your responsibility to choose and purchase this insurance, if desired. Read the policy carefully.
Flying on an IMR Group Flight
- IMR will provide two group flight choices for your convenience:
→ ECONOMICAL FLIGHT: An economical option with longer routings and layovers in exchange for a less expensive flight. Some layovers may be long enough to allow you to take a city tour at your leisure.
→ PREMIER FLIGHT: A more direct routing that is a higher cost for those looking to save time.
- We can include routing directly from your hometown as an added convenience at an additional cost.
- The cost of either group ticket will be at the airline cost when the ticket is issued.
- There is no customized routing with this ticket.
- Use the full baggage allowance of the ticket for your personal needs and any donations you are bringing.
- You are responsible for all costs incurred during transit including missed flights, airline delays, and cancellations. We highly recommend that you purchase trip interruption/cancellation insurance prior to your mission.
→ This includes, but is not limited to, food, lodging, extended delays, the personal choice of purchasing a new ticket, and all other expenses during the course of travel to and from your IMR mission.
→ We recommend having a credit card with you to cover these expenses should a cancellation, delay, or missed flight interfere with your travel plans.
- Airlines vary in their requirements and fees for checked and carry-on bags.
- You are responsible for knowing the requirements on flights you book and for any fees associated with checked baggage on these flights.
- We recommend that you pack as much of your personal gear as possible in your carry-on bag.
- Checked bags are frequently lost and you may not be able to replace your personal clothes and other items due to time constraints upon arrival. Lost bags are frequently never found or arrive after the team has returned home.
- We hope that you will want to save your checked bag allowance for needed medical and community health education supplies for your patients.
Flying Independently (Purchasing Your Own International Ticket)
- IMR offers you the opportunity to fly independently. You must choose the Independent option in your account.
- IMR will not know the exact dates of travel or arrival and departure information until 13 to 11 weeks prior to departure when the subsidized tickets are purchased.
- We encourage you to extend your stay to see the wonders of the country around you. The world is a truly amazing place to visit!
- You can choose your flight departure city, flight times, airline, and cabin, and use your checked bag allowances for your personal gear and donations for your patients. Many independent fliers use their miles on a specific airline at a considerable savings.
- Please purchase your own independent flights based on the published general itinerary on the mission information page on our website.
- Any costs incurred in transit are your responsibility, including, but not limited to, hotel, food, and taxi fees.
- IMR is not able to make your travel arrangements for you with this option, but we can help you with the arrangements.